Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Favorite Directors

 

While there is too much stuff on the internet of top ten this and best twelve of that, making a list can be a good way to get a person thinking about  his or her favorites in some category. After watching two of my favorite movies – Rear Window and Singin’ in the Rain – with my grandchildren in the last few days, I was thinking about who are my favorite  film makers.

 My first half dozen came fairly easily. In alphabetical order they would be Ford, Hawks, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Renoir, and Welles. After that it got harder. Today I think I’d put Keaton, Kubrick, Lubitsch, and Wilder next to fill out a favorite ten, but that might change tomorrow.  There are so many others I like enough to think about including.

This is a list of favorite directors, not necessarily best directors.  Lists  of best directors would  vary depending on the criteria – whether single movie, entire career, originality, visual style, or whatever.

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home