Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Deciding How to Vote

 

I  usually have voted for Republicans for president. I have never voted for a Democrat. The closest I came to doing so was in 1976 when I almost voted for Carter but finally decided on Ford. I voted for the Libertarian candidate the first time I was eligible to vote (John Hospers as a write in in 1972) and in both of the last two elections, three votes I am still proud of given the other choice of Nixon, McGovern, Trump, Clinton, and Biden.


Once it became clear that Trump would be the Republican candidate, I thought about breaking my streak and voting for Biden, bad as he is, because Trump is so extraordinarily bad. I surely did not want to, but it seemed to be the right thing to do. I knew I believed the country would be better off if Trump lost. Then Biden decided to turn on Israel in its war against Hamas, and that, on top of all the rest that is wrong with him, brought me to my senses. I plan to sit out the presidential election, vote for the Libertarian, or write in Nikki Haley or Liz Cheney. I still think Biden is less bad than Trump and should defeat him, but I cannot vote for him. Sometimes the lesser evil is just too rough, and this year is one of those times.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home